Wednesday, March 5, 2008

James' Big Day

Today was the day! James had tubes placed in his ears. Everything went amazingly well, not that I expected anything less, but I am a mom who worries. We were in and out of the hospital in 2 1/2 hours and 45 minutes of that was waiting to get checked in! He looked soo... cute in his hospital jammies!


Recovery went well. He was kind of crying and moaning in his little hospital bed. The nurse had tried to give him a pedialyte bottle before we got in there and he wouldn't take it. Not a big surprise since he has never had a bottle. He still nurses before he goes to bed at night. (He goes to Colorado for the big weaning trip next month) Anyways I am done making excuses and defenses. He nursed for several minutes while waking up. We got him dresses and then decided he liked the idea of the bottle. I didn't catch him downing the thing but he's still clutching his new found novelty. 

At home he has had instant relief! He has been babbling and making loads of sounds. He can hear so much better and you can tell he is excited to test out his new ears. He will mimic your sounds (which most babies do at a much younger age). I am excited to watch his vocabulary grow! He has been playing and dancing all day. The test now is will he sleep? He could sleep better, but he actually had adjusted pretty well to sleeping in discomfort. I hope we don't have to start over with sleeping through the night, but the boys who live above us are very loud at night so he could hear that better now and wake up. I suppose we'll find out soon enough. 

3 comments:

Andrea S. said...

Ok, so I feel like the worst aunt ever! The first thing I thought this morning (at 5:30 when Bear woke up screaming...) was that I needed to call and see how James' surgery went today. I can't believe I spaced it and didn't call.

I'm so glad to hear that it went well and he's doing better already. I'm sure he's having a great time discovering a whole new world.

Melanie said...

I'm glad everything went well. He's such a trouper. And those pj's are cute. Why can't they have big ones for us instead of those blue things :0)

Jessica Anderson said...

Annette, i'm so glad that it was quick and everything turned out good! He is so cute in those hospital kid gowns, I didn't know they made them for little kids! Once the doctor told me to put one on nixon during his check up and I was like "he's a little boy? plus, this is like 10 sizes to big for him... what are you thinking?" But those ones on James are wayyyyyy cute! i didn't know that his hearing was so effected by his ear infections. I'm so glad that he is more verbal since the operation. HOW EXCITING!!!!