Thursday, January 31, 2008

President Hinckley

I know this image of President Hinckley has been on several other blogs, and I tried to use a different one not wanting to follow the crowd but it didn't feel right. I think that it is because it has amazingly captured what so many love about him and that is his spirit of love, compassion, the gospel, and a little bit of light hearted fun as well.



The kids and I hopped onto the train after preschool today to head downtown to the conference center for the viewing of President Hinckley. They both loved the train ride even though I don't seem to have captured James' happiness very well.

I tried to time our visit when I thought the fewest number of people would be there and I lucked out. It wasn't crowded in the least. It was extremely peaceful. The kids were both reverent and well behaved. As we entered the room of the prophets the most amazing peace filled the room. It was the most amazing thing to be in the presence of a prophet of the Lord after he has gone home to the Father. There were very few dry eyes in the room including those of the ushers. The tears were not of sadness but of love. The love we as people had for him, the love he had for us, and love of our Savior.
I will forever remember those feelings as I held both my children at the side of President Hinckley's casket.

I hope that Kaylie might have some recollection of the experience as she grows older. She has had a great grasp of understanding when it comes to death, the second coming and the resurrection. This was not her first funeral viewing and knew what to expect. As we left the viewing area said to me Mom, "I feel sad that President Hinckley died." Sad is a feeling that we have when we lose the companionship that we love and respect.

We walked through temple square to transition back into the real world. Kaylie had been wondering if girls go on missions and so we took the chance to visit with the sister missionaries. It was 2 hours that I will always remember.

3 comments:

Andrea S. said...

What a neat experience. I'm sure it's something Kalie will remember forever.

Kimbur said...

Thanks for sharing Annette.

Riedman said...

you can get the animaded pictures at photobucket.com